Wyre "Herb" Platt, Ph.D.
10626 SW 12th Terrace @ Edgecliff
|Specialty Areas||Project Management & Coordination, Environmental Impact Assessments/Social Impact Assessments, Behavioural Field Studies in Water-Borne Parasitic Diseases, Disaster Preparedness in Flood-Prone Areas.|
|Key Qualifications||Accomplishments include:
Education and Training
|International Work Experience||Bangladesh, Brazil, India, Jamaica, Pakistan, USA|
|English (Native Speaker;
SYNOPSIS OF FIELD CONSULTANT EXPERIENCE 1988 – Present
Sociocultural and Socioeconomic Components to Environmental Assessments
Social & Economic Analyses
Cultural Resources Inventories
Behavioral Studies of Freshwater Contact and Parasitic Infections
Health Care Utilization Studies
• Substantial travel experience in Central America, Brazil, Western Europe, South Asia, and North America. Studied Spanish literature at University of Madrid, 1968.
• Exceptional talent for small-team coordination, field interviews and archival research.
• Developed an emergency preparedness plan for volcanic eruptions in Guatemala, 1971.
• Trained in schistosomiasis lab techniques at the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, 1975.
• Presented invited paper entitled, Human Schistosomiasis and Agricultural Systems in Brazil to Association of American Geographers Committee on Medical Geography and Health Care, 1975.
• Assisted in organizing a snook fishing cooperative in Ilheus, Bahia, Brazil, 1977.
• Co-founded International Health Forum at the University of North Carolina, 1982.
• Volunteer, North Carolina Memorial Hospital Emergency Ward, 1984. Worked on a master triage plan for a mass emergency event.
• Livestock and poultry small-scale management experience (hogs, chickens, geese and turkeys)
• Organized special session on Migration and Health for 1986 Meeting of Association of American Geographers.
• American History Teacher, P. K.Yonge High School, 1987.
• Proficient in basic parasitology lab techniques (diagnosis, quantification).
• Field photography, map and aerial photo interpretation, survey design and analysis, and basic GIS and cartography.
Platt, H. M. 1972. Illegal land occupancy in Costa Rica: The Case of Parasitismo.
Duever, L.C., H.M. Platt, G.L. Ellis, R. Denson and P.C. Gibbs. 1997. A Plan for the Restoration, Preservation and Interpretation of The Old Bellamy Road. A Portion of the St. Augustine to Pensacola Road at River Rise State Preserve. 276p plus appendices. Final Report.
Platt, H.M. 2004. Resurrecting the Heart of Florida. Ocala Magazine. Cityscape: Perspective, p.36-38.
Platt, H.M. 2005. Ocala- Horse Capital of the World. Roughing It Smoothly. A Quarterly Journal For Tiffin Motorhome Owners. Volume 2 Number 3, p 21-23.
Platt, H.M. & Harper, Paige. (forthcoming, 2006). Geopolitical Evolution of North America. Geopolitical Evolution Mapping Services.
|References||Available upon request.|
|Personal Data||Nationality: USA|
Return to MESAS Page