Gayle Ayers Elam, Ph.D.
After receiving my Ph.D. in Linguistics I went to work in industry as a computational linguist. I have been fortunate to be involved in many projects that use my expertise in and love of prosody and intonation. I have worked for small, medium, and large corporations, and I now run my own consulting business that focuses on projects that need a linguist’s expertise.
Please contact me to discuss how I can help in your projects. I can help your telephone information systems and dialog systems benefit from natural sounding prompts using prerecorded speech and well planned dialog interactions. I am one of the experts in ToBI intonational labeling of English corpora. I have experience in child language research, especially field observation and child interactions. I can design, conduct, and analyze the results of experiments on various kinds of data and materials.
- Prosody and intonation
- Influence of prosody on sentence- and discourse-level processing and understanding
- Discourse structure
- ToBI intonational labeling
- Interface design (voice and visual)
- Dialog systems (esp. natural sounding prompts and dialog management in computer dialog systems)
- Language acquisition in young children
- Languages: Swedish, German, French, Mandarin, and others...
Last Modified: May 2011